Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Them ladies have come back to haunt me!

Another topsy turvy time when all that happens could never be wrote in a journal in a million years. My account has been up and down more times since the last post it’s unreal but I feel I’m slipping away from the reality of the game and the fact that it can be an expensive hobby.

My major advantage I believe is if I join a table with the right attitude I can switch styles and compete with the table/opponents on whatever level and play my socks off. At the minute playing mostly £5/10 and £10/20 and the results have been pretty good and BAD because the major advantage is circumvented by a major flaw.

The bad results are down to a basic fundamental flaw in my game (trying to think of the word for it….) ah yes complacency. It is hindering my progress big style and I have to gain control or I will have to pack it in, simple as. I am becoming more aware of the fact that there’s a fortune of easy money out there to be earned in as much as a couple of hours play a day, ok not easy but an enjoyable way to earn a nice few quid for little effort.

My account went down to about 8.5k earlier this week I switched off from the six-pacs as the beats were diabolical (every game) I’ve never experienced a run as bad and as surreal as the one I’ve just had, my decision – CASH IS KING. Without any major problems other than my drinking which is muppetry in motion when I get on the tables ‘thinking I know what I’m doing’ it’s laughable; sometimes you get away relatively unscathed others it’s a catastrophe.

So ok two major flaws in my poker system are now up for analysis, complacency and the urge to play whilst under the influence of alcohol. Whenever I begin to build my stack, which I know I could do at a lot quicker rate I get cocky and seem to go on autopilot. Then sometime along the way I’ll lose my stack through a bad read or sheer aggression channelled wrongly i.e. deciding I’m taking a pot without considering anything other than I’m taking the pot. Alcohol doesn’t help me at all, well maybe it chills me at first but eventually it gets me and if I could add up the times I’ve lost huge pots whilst under the influence, I’d probably have the new Bentley Continental by now!.

Managed to get my stack up to £13,700 from £11,500 since last post and suffered a few mishaps along the way. I am going to mention two hands that have stuck in my mind and one is open for discussion the other is just a complete and utter display of my rash play sometimes (unexplainable I’m afraid)

Here's the 1st £10/20 NL 10 seated cash table I get dealt KK in the SB everyone folded round the table one player flat calls I make a 4 x BB raise of £80 and Blouscous who is in the BB re-raises to £200. OK great (smells of AA but) now do I raise or smooth call, I decide to smooth call £120 and see a flop of (Ks Js 4d) I love this flop and due to the fact I have been re-raised pre-flop I decide to check it to the raiser and sit praying - the bigger the bet the better, he checks back (germpppp)…. Now the turn brings a Qs and I don’t like the look of that card but a quick analysis of the situation has me thinking he wouldn’t have re-raised with A 10 so I can’t have him for the straight, possible AA JJ QQ AK AQ etc. But 2 x spades possible but hey, cant be afraid of the flush can i ?. I bet £299 and Blouscous re-raises again to £598 now I’m in a dilemma should I flat call and see what happens or shall I fold (LOL) no folding here I move all-in for £2246.83 blouscous quickly calls and shows As 5s for the nut flush, river comes 10c and he collects £4619.66 from the main pot.

I cant see how I could get away from this other than now with hindsight if I flat called and the 10c came on the river I have an escape route, so I can see how I could get away from it (I’m such an hypocrite) I just took the easy option and went all in.

Conclusion, to take away the need to use skill in the hand I went all in on the turn and got wiped out by the Queen of spades; and I thought the ladies really did love me after what I did to InsideEdge last week with AQ….. Pah poker I’ve shit it..

Next hand short and simple £10/20 NL cash table 4 handed - player has raised pot 7 x BB twice on the trot, third time I find 33 OTB he raises 7 X BB I call, no set no bet… Flop comes raggy Jack high and he makes a large continuation bet. I ponder and call, turn is a brick he goes all in I think yeah righto here’s AK AQ he’s got nothing here and wants me to go away, I call and he shows pocket Q’s. Them ladies have come back to haunt me BIG STYLE what a Pratt £3100 pot gone in a left click. Again hindsight tells me one thing, that wasn’t an instinctual/six sense call it was a two bottles of white wine and an argument with the girlfriend Muppet complacency/under the influence call.

Major thinking in my poker analysis at the minute is it is essential to learn who you are playing against and how good they are at mixing it/consistency etc etc. Play with extra caution till you do!!! Sometimes 33 will be good and your read will be correct, doubt whether there’s a positive EV here though especially when pished thinking your Stu Ungar…

UL GG WP ™

Balance of last post £11,572

Up to £13,700 down to £8,500 back up, back down, back up, and now

Back down £10,961.77

Onwards and Downwards, I mean upwards!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The line I've heard many mention in relation to Unger being something along the lines of 'He could make legendary calls, but you don't hear many stories of him making many big laydowns'

5:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home