Saturday, October 01, 2005

Muppetry in Motion

Jumped on a £5/10 6 seated table this morning while I was doing my bits and bobs, phone calls etc. Steady away for an hour comes off with £426 profit…

Find myself a couple of hours spare and a £2/5 6 seated NL table. Doing ok but not too happy with my table choice. Made a bad play on a scary flop and didn’t need to lose my stack just miss-read the situation (completely).

I have AQ and make a 5 x BB raise as every one is limping in. 1 caller the rest fold flop comes Ks Js 10s and the caller now checks and so do I. Turn comes a 2c and again this player checks so I bet just under the pot and he calls, River comes another 2d and caller bets £100 I ponder just calling, then re-raise all-in, he thinks for a bit then calls and shows 5s 6s for the flush.

Now, this happened later on against the same player, I flopped a set but the board was 3 x hearts, I bet he raises I call then on the river he bets £95 just under the pot I call and he shows Kh Qh for the king high flush again.

In the first encounter a good player could fold his flush because the board has paired which makes my play look even worse. At first I’m thinking he can’t have hit the flush on the flop (120/1 odds against), don’t even consider the full house and pay the price. It’s actually like I was looking for an excuse to get my chips in just glad it was £2/5 not £5/10 or higher.

Now here’s where I think had I been playing higher stakes I would have just called the last bet and (folded if i knew the player) depending upon size and paid the player off for his flush, waiting for a better opportunity. Now on £5/10 the size of the bet woulp probably similar to the stack i moved in with which makes me think I didnt program myself for the level of stakes I was playing and should have adjusted accordingly. I have posted that I prefer the £5/10’s and it’s not that I don’t respect money it just seems I am a lot more comfortable and in my zone as far as the stakes are concerned.

Todays conclusion: I need to stop looking for excuses to call in certain (tricky) situations. I am very competitive natured and like to win at whatever level I play. However, that should make my decision making better not worse, and my poker bankroll could have been healthier today than it is. For the first part I think the correct play was to call the last bet even if it was just to look the player up. P.S I hadn’t had much chance to measure this player and at the end of the session added to my notes ROCK/PASSIVE, if only I’d sussed it earlier, would have been a doddle of a fold.

Minus £476 today, very novice play crept in – again. . .

I do believe that one area my game is improving rapid is the fact that I take the time to write these accounts down and as a result I am learning a lot in the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home