Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bring on the WSOP

My tournament play has improved since I have got halfway through Harrington on Holdem Volume II. However, I need to read more because my endgame i.e. final table play is built up around pure gambling (the strategy goes out of the window).

Over the last week I placed 26th in the 35k GTD blew my stack in bad fashion, 16th in the 15k GTD (same again) but a little improvement…

The other night I was in the Caribbean Poker Classic Main Final $10k for one winner package and it was down to four players, me being one of them with a tidy chip lead. A player from Betfair typed in to me good luck Tosh concentrate on the small stacks via MSN. Sounded good advice eliminate the small stacks and go head to head with the bigger stack when strong... Didn’t happen I got into a confrontation with the 2nd chip leader on 2 occasions and in them 2 occasions lost my stack.

I can understand how some can play brilliant at cash and some players excel in tourneys; they are a completely different game (COMPLETELY). I would like to find my feet in tournaments because they are exciting and very lucrative but I believe they at the minute should be supplemented by cash games because I just cant win/place every tourney so keeping in front on the cash games makes it easier to throw $200 at a satellite qualifier for a big event like the Caribbean Poker Classic (just to play against the big guns).

There’s a bigger element of luck involved in tournaments in my opinion due to the sheer size of runners in them sometimes and the chances of fish like myself outdrawing better starting hands (LOL). But keeping in front of the blinds etc is essential in tourneys you can’t wait like a gnat waits to be swatted you have to get in there and sometimes your starting requirements are completely different to cash where there is a solid continual blind structure.

Learning tourney play might have a detrimental effect on my cash play I don’t know yet, can’t really have much effect on me however I’m shite at cash at the minute.