Sunday, September 04, 2005

Not getting anywhere fast

Well I returned the favor and logged into my pals account and blew 2k for him over a period of four days. Strange playing on someone else’s account and from my viewpoint not advisable, not just because I blew his 2k and he did mine BTW.

When he asked me to let him use my account I felt obliged to do so, I mean he's my best pal I trust him 100% and also my business partner. Moreover when he has a good week its a 20k + sometimes, he's had more bad ones but that’s for his blog if he ever starts one; my thinking is here, fair enough lose 1k my 50% share or come back to a very nice profit and take my account back over...

When he told me it was gone and a few bad beats along the way it didn't bother me in the slightest (Grrr) but I was concerned about another aspect of this loss. When he asked me to use my account his idea was withdraw a cheque from Betfair and leave 2k balance, fair play can’t blow the 9.5k I have in there at the minute so I do so. However, it did affect me mentally because I was conscious of the fact that I have always left 5k in my account to play, then when I reach a certain amount I make a withdrawal and leave 5k to build up my profits again (hopefully).

From a psychological perspective knowing that I have altered my ‘successful’ system of bankroll management has assisted in my bad play since I come back off my holidays. There are obviously other reasons for my bad play of late but this is one I more or less told myself would happen when I gave the Idea the OK. It’s like I programmed myself to go on tilt if he blew my account and left me having to get the Old Visa out and top my account up. Probably sounds silly to anyone reading but the days of keep putting money into my account were put behind me and now I found myself putting it in again (even though I’ve drawn it out) and it’s had an effect on my confidence. I believe if I had come back to a healthy balance I’d be playing like a good un!!

Just lately I have moved down the NL stakes to the £2/5 sometimes £1/2 where I do get on the table and feel confident in my abilities, but when I decide to look at the higher stake NL games I just think sod it you’re not good enough at the minute stick to the lower stakes (some people might deem it as playing scared).
Maybe I am playing scared in some ways, but not from a point of financial status but confidence in my game at the minute is low and I’m trying to find the way out by just getting my game in order. It’s only recreational for me, wonder if the pro’s sometimes have these dilemmas or I’m just another daft Poker wannabe…

Anyway, back to using my pals account I lost his 2k or his 50% over a period of four days. Now I didn’t play the same as I normally would and do recognize one particular thing that contributed to my loss. I tried too hard to win too quickly for the sake of saying “there you go we’re back in profit mate”. Situations where I had the opportunity to say to myself “there will be better opportunities FOLD”, my worse judgment took over and I was in the thick of it gambling rather than playing, hence the 2k disappeared and I was left saying “I knew how to win with your money but couldn’t discipline myself to do it”….

I could blog forever on this subject and hope I’ve not bored anyone to tears but on a final note I can see how hard it is for a player to get backing for tournaments etc. To me there’s a lot more to being able to manage your own bankroll when someone else is involved, if you blow your own money you’ve no-one but yourself to answer to. There are some shit hot poker successful players on Betfair that spring to mind who play the lower limits and I sometimes think to myself they would be great to sponsor. However, I have proved to myself they could play a completely different game in that position over the last few weeks, there are definitely more ingredients required.

A true poker player that can play when someone else is on a % of that player must possess real discipline and have all the ingredients mixed into one or else you will be left scratching your head with the cheque book out…