Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A week off (or more)

I have had a week at Glorious Goodwood for the racing, in fact for the beer but I have just about recovered and I came back on the 29th July (that's an indicator to how much beer I drank).. It's a great meeting but next year a poker tour is for me!

I thought the break from poker would make me feel like a dog on a leash waiting to be set free and jump on the tables like a man possesed, but the exact opposite has happened, I just cant be arsed at the minute. I have played a couple of Single table tournaments (STT's) a £50 & £100 plus £90 six-pack, was doing ok then just decided to play hands that I normally wouldn't and as a result go my arse kicked (think it's defined as tilt). Played the 30k GTD tournament Sunday night and came 40th won £147 don’t suppose it was too bad I was playing 3hrs + but the hunger wasn't there. Soon as I knew I had got my money back I went all in with Q 5 off because I just could not motivate my mind into concentration mode...

Last night I played on the $10/20 no limit cash tables and started enjoying the game again but it was one of those night when you are just going to bed behind no matter how many times you get dealt premium hands. In fact I would say on them nights I’d prefer less premium hands because I’d lose less. Lost 2k when after several limpers I raised $140 and got one caller, nice one I say to myself. Texture of the flop looks good for my AA (6 2 j) he bets I re-raise he calls, mmm. Turn comes a nine, now he goes all in... I go through the normal what could he have procedure big pair, AJ, set etc, but this guy has been playing some real loose/poor poker I call. He had 9 6 off, he's called a $140 pre-flop raise with 9 6 off. Good luck to him. Fair to say his money didn’t last that long.

This is not a bog off bad beats but to anyone that plays (it was one of those nights) and you can probably relate. One player on the table was a raving lunatic he got up to about 6k he was hitting everything. The feeling I always get is (hope I catch him before anyone else) well this guy raises to £280 and another player goes all in $1950 It was a standard raise for the maniac so I thought he'll crumble on this one but he called --- he had 10 4 off and the other player had AK suited.. Mr AK suited re-loaded shortly after that hand; he was having a night like me by the looks of things... Must admit though i do not so much welcome these type of night but you have to expect them and not let them get you down.

One thing is true about internet poker, there is money to be earned and I am going to have some fun trying to do so. To me it's all about correct mindset, yes you need a good knowledge of the game but a strong controlled mind is the key... What is it Patience, Discipline and selective aggression... A lot of the top players tilt to easy so it's not that hard for medium players to take advantage of their strong will and become that top player everyone aspires to be. My tournament play is poor, I always seem to be the one that if I put my mind to it I can get a "well that wasn't bad 35th out of 565 runners" but it's not good enough and I want to learn what it is the other tourney players have got that I haven’t. If you are out there and you are reading this and you are any good, I will be watching you on the tables trying to get the edge. I have read that some people just cant play both because they are two completely different games and I definitely agree, but some can and I like to think I’m one of them lol.

Cash is more lucrative, and I believe requires more skill, you have to take the slight edges in cash, tourneys you have to sometimes give them up. Some people argue that tournament poker isn't true poker at all maybe that's a topic for a later discussion; I’m on the fence on that one. Today i jumped on $2/5 10 seated table and was dealt pocket 7's first hand. I had put $500 on and was just messing in my office sorting paperwork etc. The flop was great for me 872 i bet $20 and get called, great turn is queen, i try a bigger bet $45 he calls, river a 3 so i bet a little over the pot see if i can take him with me. He calls, shows pocket 8's with the 8 on the flop his over set wins the pot. I think my luck is back why just flat call me??, and i put in my notes (PASSIVE) glad to meet you . See you at the tables.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home