Saturday, December 24, 2005

Final Thoughts for this year and next!

From £10,961.77 up to £14861.77 Back Down to £7,498 in 3 x days
(Taken From Last Post on the 24th December 2005)


Spiralling down to an all time low since 1k deposit in october to £563 as of 29th December. Oh dear.

Well it hasn’t improved or should I say hadn’t improved because the last 2 days have seen me liking poker again! Or at least maybe thinking of giving it another chance in our very emotionally charged relationship…

I have continued to be on the receiving end of unbelievable bad luck that has sent me on a tilt spree that I didn’t recognise until a few players actually kept saying I was playing differently and ‘Badly’. I knew my table image would have changed in anybody’s opinion and the best advice would be “when Tosh raises call with ATC for + EV purposes” cos if you connect with the flop you will get paid off if he owns anything above what the flop can offer.

Pocket 2’s flop 2 6 9 rainbow I raise £120 get re-raised to £320 I call and on the turn 4c comes off I move all in and get called by a player holding pocket 4’s LOL. The same player takes a hammering every time he plays unless I’m about and he takes 3.5k of me in the space of 30mins. I feel for the first time since I started playing that I no longer care for the game in fact I cant stand it, what the F***k have I been doing for the last 18 months (sigh).

The above is a small example of what’s been happening and the keyword that kept springing to my mind when going through this run of bad cards was ‘DISORIENTED’. AK couldn’t connect and a continuation bet was always disastrous, AA would find me scratching my head when another player flopped 2 pair on the flop and a full boat by the turn, if I ever allowed them to reach the turn. I’d normally have the chips in the middle from the flop hoping they didn’t outdraw me when they already had He He. I am the first to admit that although I feel mentally strong and thought I was playing normal the beats were nagging at me like no other person can grind at you. I was falling fast I needed to take time out and have a look at myself, but couldn’t bring myself off the tables in case ‘I HIT’.

OK thanks to a few online players Heaven, Hawko readers of this blog JPJ etc. and even some players that by stealth help you when they don’t even know it (Eoinak springs to mind) he typed in the chat box when we were playing the other night “Toshiwonk the Variance Monster”, got me thinking that one. I really started to evaluate what I was doing and why I was doing it. I don’t look for pity or sympathy, the poker world is the wrong place to do that, but encouragement and advice is always welcome and that is available in genuine abundance. Now Variance Monster is a screename I would love to take on but you can only use 9 letters (pity) maybe a variance of the name is required for the new Toshiwonk Account.

Variance usually suggests discrepancy or incompatibility… Sounds about spot on!

Anyway, I was advised to have a break but I was determined to play through this bad spell. My thinking was that I would recognise when It was over. Now I know the cards don’t have memories but when your luck is down you can recognise a glimmer of hope and I did. I flopped the nut flush and thought wahhheeeyyyyy I’m back and the board paired on the river and player X wiped Mr. ToshiTilt out like George Foreman hitting Mr Muscle full pelt would. For dessert I flopped a full house and was disconnected when I re-raised on the river, however, I escaped that one cos he didn’t call. Maybe I was getting sympathy the poker gods had finally listened to my plight. Thursday 29th December 3:00am end of Tilting and bad luck sob stories I have £563 in my account and I am … where’s that word again … DISORIENTED..

Thursday teatime I'm looking at cash tables and I tell myself that if I put that money down I will give it away in an instant, shall I just sling it in and start a new account where no-one knows me and cant target that crap player?? I look at the 6-pac Stt’s and there’s a new one on the block a £500 6-pac mmm can’t get registered quick enough. Long story short I take it down not before Outdrawing a player called Crocos when it’s 3 handed he raises my BB and I re-raise all-in with my A9 suited he calls with AQ and it’s one of those boards where your in front and back again, the board distributed me 3 x spades and I went on to the claim the £2250 prize pool..

Back to cash but with a different outlook and a more determined mentality joined the $10/20 table and managed to nick a few quid before my AA gets cracked by 89 off suit flop 89q and $4775 pot lost and I kick myself because I could have and should have got away (AGAIN). Disoriented … No not this time, just rolled up the sleeves and cracked on again learning as I went along … The mobile phone companies have a name for a tariff that seems to fit nicely … PAY AS YOU GO …

Yesterday I was thinking I can’t remember last time I hit quads. Played a £5/10 10 seater and hit quad A’s not a bad pot either and eventually won another 2k. My £500 is now just under 4k which I can’t beat myself up too much for because I’d cleared all my accounts out and withdrawn profits in September. The money I’m playing with at the minute is from 1k I deposited in October after my holidays so as a recreation it’s pretty good going because I’m in profit and playing regular poker. Just when I was going to take 10k out as I reached 15k and leave a 5k float; to get to 14k then down to £563 is a bit of a grrrrrrr to say the least. New Years Eve and my Account is £3719 so 3k + over last two days and I’m on a roll.

I feel I have learned more in the last 2 months than ever before and I also know what a bad run is about and can wholeheartedly empathise with the players who do this to make a living.. Real stress involved I would say and mindset is the key to this game that constantly plays with your head and roll.

New Years Resolution:

Never follow the masses, if they go one way go the other if you want success. Every player that’s made a loss will be making a resolution to play tighter more disciplined poker. I think I will try and take advantage of this theory and pinch a few quid while I’m at it LOL. He hasn’t learned a thing I hear you say!!!

Tip of the Year

Mindset is everything look after your emotions and recognise them don’t ignore them.

Total Profit to date £23456

Target for 2006 – Still thinking about that one


Merry Xmas & a Happy & Prosperous New Year to all ............

WP GG ATVB ™

8 Comments:

Blogger kinghawko said...

All the best toshi-rock ;)

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a prosperous new year mate..:)


JPJ

7:00 am  
Blogger Redcar said...

very interesting post
I hope you can take your own advice
good luck

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

told ya it was rigged...lol

10:27 am  
Blogger kinghawko said...

Anthony Robbins would say, Get The Edge!!

1:15 pm  
Blogger kinghawko said...

seriously toshi-rocki

Poker is like golf

If you hit 3 consecutive shots to the right and miss the green or put it out of bounds you have to take time out and think why i'm i doing this...Is it my alignment, grip, posture etc., well poker is the same you have to sit down and talk about it, think it through, maybe even post on the forum asking for advice (this helps heaps reading the forum, because imo 90% of the advice given i'd play it differently) and you'll find out where your going wrong.

I think you have great preflop selection in cash & know your position on the table, i think your making pots with AA, KK, QQ, AK too big or when you have these hands and your reraised you never believe they have it....i think you should pay more attention to the board and bettng.

hope this helps & you don't turn into a bad player overnight.

2006 the year of the Toshi

1:42 pm  
Blogger PillowTalkPoker said...

Hey Tosh,
Eoinak here, just wanted to let you know I was only taking the piss with that comment and didnt mean it to sound like I was having a go at your play, hope it didnt come accross that way.

Refreshingly almost painfully honest post, it made me think about times when my own bankroll took a hammering. Happens to us all, my advice a couple of weeks away from the table.

Keep up the good work on the blog.

Eoin

12:28 am  
Blogger MrDigital said...

Hey Eoin,

The contrary m8 I thought it was funny and fitting to how i was thinking at the time..

And it helped..

Toshi

1:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home