Saturday, December 15, 2007

You're not what you think you are, but what you think, you are..

So I have decided to start updating my blog on a regular basis again. The reason is that I have started to play nice smooth recreational poker and I'm enjoying the ride. Before I talk about the present just been doing a little reflecting on the past and where my poker journey has taken me. Things were going well actually and at the time of my poker beginnings, things couldn't be better. I was living a life of riley. The poker filled in the gaps and I remember thinking to myself this is the life, flashing off my three screens and talking to anybody who wanted to listen about poker.

Poker on the surface level so simple but as you drive down into the realms of the poker world you enter an intricate web with more facets than the finest cut diamond. As I drove down into the realms of the poker world I sampled some of the different roads available on my journey. The further and deeper I travelled down some the more I felt I was escaping the reality of the fact that something was missing in my life. Anyway I carried on regardless and wherever it was, whatever it was I was still making a tidy profit even though now the alcohol had crept into my game.

Alcohol and poker do not mix, it was great at first playing on the play money tables with my friends and the old Jack Daniels but Jack and real money poker was a recipe for disaster. By the year end I was winning the 30k tax free recreational poker player profits that could have been treble that. However, I was still pleased with my progress until I blew the lot in a tilt infested frenzy that lasted about three weeks culminating in my decision that online poker was rigged. I really did what Robert Anton Wilson says in his book ‘Prometheus rising’, (what the thinker thinks the prover proves!) I thought online poker was rigged, and deleted everything from my experience that suggested otherwise, how laughable but true.

So without further ado from a little reflection of the past to my projection of the future in the context of poker. I realised whilst on the emotional roller coaster that the reason I was playing poker so much was not that I was living a life of riley but there were just gaps that needed filling in at that time, pretty big ones. I had achieved my goals and as a result took my foot off the accelerator. Now, with no sense of direction had tried to adapt to the life of leisure but it wasn't me something was missing.

I'm playing poker now with a new-found vigour and I play for recreation and to test my ability to control my ‘state of mind’. This is my new challenge and part of my new goals. I am focusing more on live play but don't mind firing up the odd six-pack when I feel like doing so and if I don't feel like it I just don't do it. That's all part of the discipline. The discipline to be able to take it or leave it and not to become a victim of its complexity. The journey has been a fantastic one to reflect on and as I sit here now writing this poker taught me a valuable lesson.

I have the ability to walk away…

Good look at the tables Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

P.S I am now a certified master practitioner of Neuro linguistic programming and my training was taken with the co-creator of NLP doctor John Grinder. One of my goals is to work with professional poker players in helping them achieve their potential and I am currently in the process of setting up this aspect of my business.

MrDigital

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it says at the top of your page you are a mater practitioner nlp...yes MATER...MATER.....your not what you think you are"..concentrate boy..

9:12 pm  
Blogger MrDigital said...

Well spotted!

10:12 pm  
Blogger Small Stakes Poker said...

Merry Christmas mate
good luck for 2008

11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home