Sunday, June 03, 2007

Positive Intentions

Every behaviour has a positive intent.. E.g A smoker smokes because they say it helps them relax, concentrate etc..

My positive intent:
I play to test myself and manage my emotional 'state' i.e absorb the beats and play controlled Poker. It to me can be the ultimate test of discipline, and when I come off 'knowing' that's what I achieved then all well and good. I also played to escape boredom which I hate and do anything to avoid.

However, as far as positive intent is concerned and playing to test my discipline poker wise my conclusion is... To test myself and manage my emotions I stopped playing poker. To avoid boredom I found other things of interest to me. Basically I got the same result I played poker for by stopping playing (Discipline) & (New Interests). I found new ways of putting myself to the test in the process e.g Fitness training/Study business ventures etc.

The result:
Sometimes if you have a look at what your trying to achieve 'unconsciously' whether its to chill, escape boredom etc. you may find like I did that there are many other ways of getting that result that are more beneficial to you. I like the fact I can choose to play if I want and test my discipline.

I also like the fact that I have proved to myself I have the power of making choices. The more choices we have available the more flexible we are as human beings.

Sometimes we become so involved in something it overpowers us and we become tunneled as to the choices available to us. It's like standing in the grand canyon looking through a toilet roll with one eye and saying the view is fantastic. Sometimes if we drop the toilet roll theres a little bit more on offer that we couldn't see previously...

This is why I haven't played for over four months till now and I believe I'm missing the buzz from the game I was so obsessed with... I am focusing on some live poker and a little online maybe the odd MTT.

The true test now is to win a major live event :D

Good Luck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home