Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Just thought i'd drop you a line to say the Holiday is GREAT

The road to realisation is a long one and poker is definitely a long uneasy road???

As previously stated I decided to have a little break from my ‘recreational’ hobby ‘Online Poker’ and guess what?

I can’t bring myself to play at the minute I just don’t fancy a game I have better things to do. Can’t believe I’m saying this!

Why?

I know the answer and can feel myself rejuvenating every day…

I was no longer a recreational player who enjoyed playing ‘occasional’ £5/10 NL cash with a ‘few’ 6-pacs and the ‘odd’ multi. Nope, I’m afraid that I had become a poker robot who sat there day after day playing any 6-pac that would have me, jumping on cash chasing lost money and generally playing like a twat. Saying that, playing like a twat in 6-pacs usually sees you getting paid, in fact playing like a twat in any form usually sees you getting paid, ‘YOU’ being the word not ‘ME’ no matter how I played I lost or at least that’s how it felt.

Now I’ve heard through all channels Books/Forums common sense that when things aren’t going your way and emotions start to become a big part of your game i.e. tilt then take a break, have 5 minutes away a cup of tea a walk round the block… Maybe even a couple of weeks to chill that’s what true pro’s do. Nah, fekk that I want to put as many hours as possible in (i'm due a right winning streak) mentality cost me 20k of last years profits which was 25k. Obviously I have had my swings the other way so it feels like losing 50k but hey, ‘It’s only money’. The question is, do I just give my last 6k of hard earned money back to Betfair and any player lucky enough to join my table or do I hold on and take a break then use my profits to earn profits. You see I just said “It’s only money” but it’s much easier to say that when you’re in profit and it’s not your bread and butter, oh how I don’t envy the pros.

Little section on Pro’s… Top respect to the people that can handle being a pro and say they enjoy it. I believe I’ve had a taste of what it’s like to be a pro but in my case… I’ve had a taste of what it’s like to be an ‘unprofessional professional’ if that makes sense. The attributes required for this game not new to anyone I’m sure but ‘Immense Discipline’ will make a decent player a great player. If you’re not on the top of your game/life/emotions/environment etc. this game will eat you alive and spit you out like the saying.

“When the fox hears the rabbit screaming, he comes a running… But not to help”
Most poker players especially Pro’s don’t want your bad beat stories and don’t care, they want your money it’s not rocket science but you would think it if you seen some of the donators online.

I became a donator of late but didn’t believe I was. No way, I was so fekking unlucky I said to myself day in day out. It’s rigged was a good way to cope with an outdraw and blame everyone but me. I wont even mention that … OK just a little mention, I must admit I became fearful of AA preflop and one of the lads on Betfair said if you feel like that you need a break, I believed him and took a break.
The problem is that I have enjoyed my break so much I don’t even like poker anymore. Ok, I still want to play but just can’t bring myself to do so! it’s like I know I’m not ready yet and enjoying the learning experience. I was disappointed that I wasn’t blogging because it’s generally believed people don’t blog when they are losing but I have always been able to sit and type especially when doing my knackers.
I reckon it’s a big move in my poker playing life and a very positive one. You don’t stop learning when you are away from the tables in fact I think in certain circumstances you can learn more.

Here is something I believe to be true: Your subconscious mind as a poker player helps you along sometimes due to past experiences, it may detect betting patterns online or a facial expression when playing live and give you that gut feeling to make the right move – learned experience that you utilise to make you win even more…

Now don’t make the mistake of playing too much like me and burning yourself out. Because you’re bad play and bad reading of the game creeps in and infiltrates your subconscious mind so it learns incorrect behaviours and them good calls will all of a sudden become bad ones leaving you as confused as me…

Got to go see you soon at the tables


I HOPE…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good read yet again wonka. As you know I was there all the way through your "rollercoaster" of a month. Its tough to see a good player go through that, but good to see a good player capable of taking a complete break. I know you enjoy the game and hope you can bring yourself to get back to where you was pre2006. Your emotions were all over the place throughout January and it became a month of tilt. You are certainly good enough to succeed and make good money. The 5/10 10 Seater tables were successfull for you, and I think the problem was moving to 10/20 and the 6 seaters. As I have said before you know where your strengths are, if you play again stick to them.

Take care mate, catch you on Msnskin

Simon

8:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent read..

Shaa

11:52 am  
Blogger Redcar said...

Glad to read that your ok and that your head is coming back together.
I think you are doing the right thing, and more importantly, you know your doing the right thing.
If you come back to poker, you will do so for the right reasons and at the right time
All the very best

Redcar

12:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something Mike Caro has said. When you are all in and ahead root for your opponent. He feels better when he loses, you feel better when he wins, and its good for karma!

6:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home